Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Change

weheartit.com

Funny how change is inevitable.  It's the one thing we can count on, and yet so many people have such a hard time with it.  Maybe it's the fear of something new, the notion that we can't control what we don't know... It's something that I find so intriguing - how others approach change.  

I am one who thrives on change, a break in routine, and new ideas and experiences, however - sometimes when change is completely unexpected, it can throw us for a loop.  Unless we find, that we change.

This morning I received an email from my boss letting me know that her last day will be February 28.  I knew that she had been thinking about other options, but I didn't realize it was going to be so soon.  At first, I was surprised, shocked, and a bit worried for my future.  Not worried in the sense that I won't have a job, but that I will have too much work.  (I just took on a second job as a grad. assistant & am currently in what is said to be the hardest qtr of grad. school!) I am really the only one who knows what all my boss does.  I am the only one who could step in until they find someone new.  

In those few, short minutes, my head tried to wrap around all the different possibilities and options I have and what working more would look like, and then I realized that worrying or stressing about it is ridiculous.  It was too much energy on something that I am only speculating on, and definitely not positive.  I realized I didn't even have a real problem - I know I won't be out of a job.  


I will miss my boss and I know it might be tough if they do decide to put me in an interim position, but I am embracing this new adventure.  I am excited to see what I learn, how I grow, and who I become.  

How do you approach change?  Are you one who kicks and screams until you absolutely must meet? Or do you accept it with a wide smile & open arms, excited about the possibilities?




No comments:

Post a Comment