Sunday, March 6, 2011

Love God. Love Others.

I have been quiet for far too long!  In the past two weeks, so much has made an impression on me that I don't even know where to begin...I've always heard the beginning is a good place...maybe that's where I'll start.



For the past few months, I've been struggling with how open I am about my faith.  Not because I don't love God (I do, incredibly much so), but because I don't want to be put in the Christian box, or the Seventh-Day Adventist box to be exact.  I find that when I tell others that I'm the assistant children's pastor at my church, I automatically get put into their box of what that looks like, or how I should be/am...I find myself wanting to scream at the top of my lungs - I'm normal! So, to not be put into a box, I've just skirted around the fact that I'm a "pastor".  But within the past month, it has come into my full attention.  A few weeks ago Shortie posted similar sentiments on Yum and Yuk.  I commented on the post sharing my experiences and she replied with the idea that maybe what we are supposed to do is let God use us to open up that box a little more.  

And then I had this experience:

About two weeks ago, I was meeting a friend for coffee (well, tea for me) and arrived fairly early.  There was an older gentleman in front of me ordering and taking his time.  When he was finished telling the barista his order, he turned to ask me what I would like.  I graciously thanked him and said not to worry, I was in no rush.  He then told me that he wasn't worried at all, he has been buying the drinks of the person behind him for the past 5 years.  After I had ordered and he paid, I asked him - How come?!? And his reply was, "I've got a good life, kid, and this is my way of sharing that with others.  I'm one of God's favorite screw-ups and I'm so blessed, this is just one way I can be a blessing to others."

Wow.  Talk about powerful.  Not only was I blessed that day, but my experience with him spoke to me on a much deeper level.  This man was so sincere and loving.  God used him to remind me of my own mantra - Love God, Love Others.  God showed me how it's done...through sincerity and love...He does the rest.  He reminded me He doesn't have a box, so not to worry about those who do...who knows, maybe we could do something really cool together and expand their box..maybe even burst it open.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, the eternal struggle of not wanting to be in "The Box". I face it too, not always volunteering that I am a teacher in a PRIVATE school, lest someone think I am teaching rich kids, or not saying I am a teacher in an SDA school, lest someone else think I am not in a "real" school. And with my faith as well... I am a non-denominational Seventh-day Adventist, which leads me to be fearful of sharing my non-demoninational side with my adventist friends and my adventist side with my other Christian friends, once again out of the fear of being put into the box that is labeled "different", "weird", or even (gasp!) "not a true member of the Adventist church!!!". But, like you, I have been allowing God to let me see that I am who I am, I have nothing to hide, and if someone wants to put me in that box, so be it. Because in the end, the box exists in their head, not in my reality. And definitely not in His!

    ReplyDelete