Monday, November 30, 2009

Curried Squash & Spinach with Brown Rice

To me the most fun thing about this recipe is that I didn't have to go to the store - everything was in my kitchen!  And it's from a brand new cooking magazine I recently subscribed to - Clean Eating.  I used acorn squash, but I'm sure butternut would be yummy too, as well as any other dark leafy green.  I also added a can of chickpeas to the broth for extra protein.  It was definitely a hearty meal.  (Sorry, no pictures yet again)

Ingredients:
1 cup brown rice
1 1/2 lb squash, seeded, stemmed, & diced into 3/4-inch pieces...about 6 cups
6 oz. spinach (about 10 cups loosely packed)
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 tsp coriander, ground
1 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
3/4  tsp turmeric, ground
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1/8 tsp cayenne powder
1 tbsp safflower, sunflower, or peanut oil
2 cloves garlic, minced

Instructions:
-Prepare rice

-While rice is cooking, in a medium bowl, combine broth, coriander, cumin, turmeric, salt, and cayenne. set aside.

-When rice is about 10 minutes from being done, in a large skillet or saucepan with a tight fitting lid, warm oil over medium heat.  Add squash and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes.  Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant (about 1 minute).  Add broth mixture, increase heat to high and bring to a boil.  Reduce to low, cover and cook until squash is tender.

-Remove lid and add spinach, 1 handful at a time, stirring after each addition until wilted.  Serve curried squash-spinach mixture over rice.

1 comment:

  1. oh my this looks good. I'm always looking for a good healthy recipes.

    ReplyDelete